BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] R: Re: No backup running?

2014-03-20 12:49:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] R: Re: No backup running?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "absolutely_free AT libero DOT it" <absolutely_free AT libero DOT it>, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 11:48:26 -0500
On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 11:33 AM, absolutely_free AT libero DOT it
<absolutely_free AT libero DOT it> wrote:
> Hi Les,
>
> my mistake, actually I was in blackout period (which have priority upon wakeup
> period, right)?

Wakeups are global to the system where blackouts can be modified
per-target so they don't exactly relate to each other except that
nothing gets scheduled if you don't have a wakeup.

> Sorry, I didn't understand the second part of your answer:
>
> "the first value in the
> wakeupschedule list is when backuppc_nightly will start - if your
> backups typically aren't competed by 1 you might want to adjust that"
>
> can you give me further explanations?

backuppc_nightly is the task that cleans the pool of files that have
been expired from all current backups and releases the disk space.  It
is a fairly disk-intensive process so it is a good idea to make it
start at a time when your backups would be complete.  On a large/busy
system 1 AM may be too early.