BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore not possible

2014-03-03 12:33:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore not possible
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 11:30:05 -0600
On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
wrote:
> Am Mon, 03 Mar 2014 11:02:27 +0100
> schrieb Pascal Heverhagen <ph AT inwx DOT de>:
>> When I want to do a restore of a backup after 5 seconds this error
>> appears in the log:
>>
>> Running: /usr/bin/smbclient \\\\TARGETSERVER\\ -U  -E -d 1 -c
>> tarmode\ full -Tx -
>> Running: /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h
>> BACKUPPEDSERVER -n 0 -s / -t /
>> Xfer PIDs are now 10685,10686
>> restore failed: BackupPC_tarCreate failed
>>

>> Why is this happening? May you can help me! :)
>

> Did you look into the logs? There isn't just the log you see in the
> backuppc-webgui, there is also a log on the server you try to restore
> to.

Depending on how far it got, there might be a log available in the
GUI.  Does the host page have a 'Restore Summary' section with restore
numbers?   And if so, does following that to the xfer log file show
anything.

> Did you try to restore your backup into a tar-file or zip-file for
> download instead of directly to the target?
> Did you try to execute the commands quoted above on the backuppc-server
> _as the backuppc-user_?
>
> And most important if you did any or all of the above: What is the
> outcome?

If the restore to tar/zip, downloaded through the browser works, that
is your quick-fix to get the files back while you work on figuring out
why the direct restore fails.