BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup seem to fail after premature child issue

2014-02-25 01:41:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup seem to fail after premature child issue
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "Prem" <squirrelj AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 00:40:09 -0600
> Hi Michael,
>
> I understand where you coming from but what happened was, the VM was
> paused for a image backup, which happened at the interval where we was not
> aware of.
>
> I am sure avoiding is the best thing to do BUT since it has already
> happened, just wondering how do we ensure the backup resumes to normal
> state or at least start with a new backup by skipping the "broken-partial"
> backup.

What BackupPC will do is (perhaps arguably) the right thing -- start over
the next time it starts a backup.  The broken-partial files will be
preserved, for whatever value they may have, but that's approximately all
the impact they will have.

For what it's worth, we coordinate image and BackuPC backups here to keep
them out of each other's way through simple scheduling, and for VM's that
are prone to less predictability (or that are normally not up) the
BackupPC backups are only performed manually.