BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Tar method - deleted files workaround

2013-10-07 16:20:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Tar method - deleted files workaround
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 15:19:07 -0500
On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 7:08 PM, Craig Barratt
<cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net> wrote:

> I've never looked into the --listed-incremental option for GNU tar.  This
> might do something similar to what you want.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_node/Incremental-Dumps.html
>

> I also don't know what is required to support it in BackupPC.

Amanda has used that for many years - it just needs a file maintained
on the target hosts to track things..  If the file you specify with
--listed-incremental does not exist, you get a full backup and the
file is created listing the directories traversed with their
timestamps.   If the file does exist you get an incremental based on
the timestamp in that file in 'gnudump' format taking everything (even
old files) under new directories.  The file is then modified in place
for subsequent higher incremental levels.  If you want to make
additional incrementals based on the previous full, you have to copy
the file before doing the backup so you will have an unmodified
version later.  The gnudump format includes the contents of
directories so that restores can optionally delete files that weren't
present at the time of the backup.

Or at least that's the way it worked the last time I used amanda,
which was several years ago.  Now that I think about it, it would be
kind of neat to have the gnudump format available from
BackupPC_tarCreate and the archive host wrapper so you could make a
reasonable series of incrementals for offsite or long term storage.