BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup solution

2013-09-20 07:27:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup solution
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 07:25:42 -0400
On 09/20 11:47 , J B wrote:
> Presently I am doing the daily apache (htdocs) and mysql
> backup at the apache server itself. No backup of client data.
> The problem is the server has to scarifies its CPU resource
> to do the backup hence the performance lag of apache during backup.
> The daily full backup (compressed mysql DB & webroot of all htdocs) consume
> almost 100 GB.

Any backup process will consume CPU and disk access bandwidth. BackupPC's
advantage is that if you use one of the rsync methods it only copies files
which have changed.

> Id backuppc is the right tool for industry grade backup ?

People on this list certainly think so. ;)
I suggest you try it on a test machine and find out for yourself.
Install it on a Debian or Ubuntu system from the package available for that
distribution of Linux, and it will be comparatively simple to install and
configure. Read the /etc/backuppc/config.pl file and look at the example
files provided by the package and it will tell you how to configure things.

Just ask if you have any other questions.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator