BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Viable .vhd files?

2013-09-19 15:16:50
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Viable .vhd files?
From: Brad Alexander <storm16 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 15:14:53 -0400
I am looking at backup solutions for my job. One of the things that the windows admins want is the ability to back up their HyperV machines and back up all of the virtual machines' VHD files, but the caveat is that the backup application would have to leverage VSS. We are currently backing up both Linux and Windows machines, but with the windows machines, we are backing up just the files, and they cannot recreate a windows machine by backing up all of the files on a machine.

We are currently backing up with bacula, but they cannot use VSS in this manner. Since they recently dropped support for Windows, we are looking for an alternative.

Can backuppc use VSS to back up live VMs on HyperV? Is this something that is in the cards?

So far, I have only found zmanda that can do this, though I am still researching this capability.

thanks,
--b