BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC upgrade from 3.2.1 to 3.3.0 in Ubuntu

2013-09-17 06:32:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC upgrade from 3.2.1 to 3.3.0 in Ubuntu
From: Prem <squirrelj AT yahoo DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 03:29:37 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

If I just backup the directory and then do a apt-get install backuppc, would that work?
What are the actual steps if you dont mind?

On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:46 PM, Juergen Harms <juergen.harms AT unige DOT ch> wrote:
> I installed BackupPC 3.2.1 using the package before and now I wish to
> upgrade it to the latest version. Appreciate if you could share the
> steps for the upgrade without any data loss.

I recently built an rpm package for 3.3.0 on Mageia-3. Went like a charm
  - using the config script from the 3.3.0 tarball
  - keeping the patch for the workaround against the perl suid problem.

My build is local (not yet in the official Mageia repositories) since I
did it in preparation of the backuppc package for the upcoming Mageia-4
release. In case you want to have the specfile, say so.

When installing the 3.3.0 rpm package, to keep your data:
- evidently, use your personalised backuppc/config.pl file; I kept
  the config.pl file I had used in 3.2.1 (and earlier releases) - might
  be good to verify if there are items to be adapted, but worked ok
  without such a verification - work still to do,
- make sure that the contents of the file backuppc/host are not modified
- make sure that the backuppc/pc directory and its files are not modified