BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC finds the wrong hosts with DNS hijacking ISPs

2013-09-04 23:23:16
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC finds the wrong hosts with DNS hijacking ISPs
From: George Adams <g_adams27 AT hotmail DOT com>
To: BackupPC-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 23:02:16 -0400 (EDT)
I am running BackupPC 3.3.0 on an Ubunut 12.04.3 system.  My hosts (which are
all Windows PCs accessed via SMB) are set to dhcp=0, which has worked well over
several years/versions of BackupPC.  According to the docs on "How BackupPC
Finds Hosts", these sequence is:

- first gethostbyname()
- then nmblookup if the DNS lookup fails.

However I am on Time Warner/Road Runner which apparently does DNS hijacking in
my area.  So EVERY DNS lookup is successful.  Any lookup of a non-existent host
returns the TWC search page address.

> nslookup asdfkkkeiioqllllsajjppp
Server:         24.25.5.61
Address:        24.25.5.61#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   asdfkkkeiioqllllsajjppp
Address: 66.152.109.110
Name:   asdfkkkeiioqllllsajjppp
Address: 69.16.143.110

> perl

use Socket qw(inet_ntoa);
my $host = 'ajslfjdkajwjkejkfsdfdjkasfjdklaskdfasjdas';
my ($name,$aliases,$addrtype,$length,@addrs) = gethostbyname($host);
printf("Host's address is %s\n",inet_ntoa($addrs[0]));

Host's address is 66.152.109.110

As a result, trying to backup "mediaserver" will result in BackupPC earnestly
trying (and failing) to backup 66.152.109.110

I would prefer that BackupPC simply skip the gethostbyname() part and go
straight to nmblookup:

> nmblookup mediaserver
querying mediaserver on 10.4.9.255
10.4.9.3 mediaserver<00>

Is there a way to do this - to disable the DNS lookup of hosts, at least for
SMB hosts?

Thanks to anyone who can help.