BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] cpool corruption not fixed by subsequent backups

2013-08-21 03:35:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] cpool corruption not fixed by subsequent backups
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 17:33:50 +1000
On 21/08/13 16:16, Chris Adamson wrote:
> I have recently had some weird hardware or software errors on my
> backuppc filesystem. I have fixed the filesystem errors but some of my
> cpool files have been corrupted. Firstly, during a restore I was getting
> Error: padding messages like this one:
>
> Error: padding .... to 33267797 bytes from 32505856 bytes
>
> for quite a few files. I tried to manually decompress the files and that
> didn't work:
>
> /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_zcat: can't uncompress ...
>
> So the files have been corrupted. But they are not fixed by future
> backups that use the corrupted backup as a baseline, these error lines
> are in the XferLOG file

You didn't specify the xfermethod you are using, but you might want to
change this value:
$Conf{RsyncCsumCacheVerifyProb} = '0.01';

I think the default is 1%, in your case, I would change it to 1.00
(100%) so that every file will be verified, then force a full backup for
every host. Be aware backups will be a lot slower than normal, but once
you have completed a full backup for every host, you can change it back
to the default.

Hope that helps

Regards,
Adam