BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup the backup to online provider

2013-07-06 20:40:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup the backup to online provider
From: Igor Sverkos <igor.sverkos AT googlemail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 02:39:19 +0200
Hi,

good question. I am also interested how other people do offsite backups.

Our problem is the amount of data. Transferring the pool to another
system is not an option anymore.
But when you have >25 clients with 150 GB archive size each, what can
you do? You cannot send >5 TB each day... not even once a week.

If you can, check the price. It is to expensive to order that much
storage in the cloud today.
Yes, you can rent/buy your own server with a big storage and put it in
a data center somewhere, but there's still the problem with the
transfer, isn't it?

So actual, we do archive backups on tape (mostly for auditing purpose)
and duplicate BPC's pool to another disk/raid set each day, which will
be rotated and kept offsite.

I am really looking forward to BPC v4. It would be really nice to
rsync the pool.

Igor