BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup the backup to online provider

2013-06-25 12:07:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup the backup to online provider
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 12:05:51 -0400
On 06/25 11:55 , Raman Gupta wrote:
> For disaster recovery purposes, I have been periodically backing up my
> BackupPC pool to external storage. I have a small pool of
> approximately 300 GB on a Linux server, and currently use rsync to
> copy the pool to storage and keep it updated.

That mechanism won't scale much farther. Rsync chokes on the number of files
that BackupPC (at least the 3.x version) uses, because of the hardlinks.

BPC 4 may be better able to replicate its data pool remotely. it's very
alpha at the moment tho and I don't know if anyone is yet trying to hammer
out how to do remote replication with it and what the limiting values are.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator