BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Exclude empty drectories

2013-05-28 11:41:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Exclude empty drectories
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 17:40:02 +0200
Am 2013-05-28 11:20, schrieb electropica:
> I am looking to ignore backup of empty sub directories to make it
> lighter and more readable.
> In my case, i backup 300 users documents so there is always "my
> pictures" or similar empty directories.
>
> Is this possible ?

"Empty" directories in userprofiles on Windows tend to contain
hidden-files with system-properties.
"Empty" directories in userprofiles on Linux tend to contain hidden
.directory files with the xdg-properties (like icons and stuff).

Working around that is more difficult then just syncing the
directory-properties.

And when you delete a dir from the backup just because it became empty,
you are removing something from backup that is still present in reality.
So your backup is not complete. Which is something you generally don't
want.

Have fun,

Arnold