BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup Data Transfer Speed

2013-04-07 18:35:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup Data Transfer Speed
From: "Phil K." <phillip.kennedy AT yankeeairmuseum DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 18:33:39 -0400
Another consideration is file system. Once you get beyond basic hardware, there are a number of tweaks to look at on the software side.

Your setup isn't terrible, but there's a lot of room for improvement. As mentioned upstream, RAM would help. It wont be a cure all, but it's a start. WD Cav Greens are insanely slow. Black or Red are a big step in the right direction, but ideally I'd get that pool into a RAID 1 (again as mentioned by others.)

Last thing to consider; Just because the switch can move data at a gigabit per second doesn't mean that it's going to be getting a gig of data per second from the host, nor is the server going to be able to write a gig of data per second. BackupPC isn't always moving data, especially with Rsync. There's a great deal of time spent listing directory and partition contents, hashing to compare existing data to potentially new. The best speeds I've personally seen are in the 25-30 Mbps range.

Bottom line, I'd bet you're getting 4 or 6 mbps. There's some room for you to improve, but you're not going to see backups in the 50-60 Mbps range.

Gary Roach <gary719_list1 AT verizon DOT net> wrote:
Hi,

I am modifying my whole backup system for greater volume and speed. The new system is as follows:

    Software - Backuppc using rsync (without SSH)
    Server -    D865PERL Motherboard
                    Pentium 4 - 2.4 GHz Processor
                    IDE System hard drive
                    SATA, 1 TB WD green backup data storage disk. (S/B 1.5 Gb/S)
                    1GB system memory
                    PCI bus
                    Intel PWLA8391GT PRO/1000 GT PCI Network Adapter
                    Cat 6 cable

    Clients (2)
                Intel DP55KG   motherboard
                Intel i5-750 Processor 4 core, 2.66 GHz
                Hard Drive - Western Digital WD5000AADS -500GB, 32MB Cache, SATAII (3 Gb/s)
                PCIX bus
                2 GB system memory
                Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E Network Adapter EXPI9301CTBLK
                Cat 6 Cable

I have read all sorts of complaints about this type setup and need some advice. It would appear that I should get around 1 Gbit/S transfer rate for continuous data transfer. If this is not true, why not and what can I realistically expect.

Gary R

Employer Resources Portal