BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] remove did not remove backuppc folder tree???

2013-04-01 22:28:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] remove did not remove backuppc folder tree???
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 04:26:57 +0200
Hi,

Tyler J. Wagner wrote on 2013-03-30 23:16:11 +0000 [Re: [BackupPC-users] remove
did not remove backuppc folder tree???]:
> On 2013-03-30 22:00, Rajeev Prasad wrote:
> > i installed and the removed backuppc, (plan to install it on a seperate
> > disk). but when i checked the file-system, the whole directory tree under
> > /var/lib/backuppc is STILL there !!!
> >
> > should i just remove the tree? what else and where else can i check to
> > make sure that it is completely cleaned.
> >
> > it was removed like this:
> >
> > apt-get --purge remove backuppc
>
> This problem has nothing to do with BackupPC. It's the Debian package.

in fact it's not even a problem, it's nothing less than common sense. Would
you expect purging the openoffice.org packages to remove all your
.ods/.odt/... files? Only those you created for testing OpenOffice?

Backup data is quite valuable. What your intention was in creating the data is
not obvious to the packaging system. And even if it were, *you* created the
data (by running backups), not the packaging system, so it's *your*
responsibility, not the packaging system's. And that's a good thing.

I would expect your host configuration files in /etc/backuppc to still be
there, too.

> --
> "One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
> lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of
> their C programs."
>    -- Robert Firth

Regards,
Holger