BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] [OT] message threading (was: Re: (solved) Error: Unable to open /usr//doc/BackupPC.html: configuration)

2013-03-24 18:34:55
Subject: [BackupPC-users] [OT] message threading (was: Re: (solved) Error: Unable to open /usr//doc/BackupPC.html: configuration)
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 23:33:08 +0100
Hi,

Les Mikesell wrote on 2013-03-24 16:05:38 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] (solved)
Error: Unable to open /usr//doc/BackupPC.html: configuration]:
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
> wrote:
> >>
> > No, it's me ... I guess. As mostly, BackupCentral again gets threading
> > wrong,
> > so, technically, he's responding to himself.
>
> Your difficulties are somewhat strange, since gmail manages to show
> threaded conversations correctly from/to the forum gateway.   I think
> the list archives do too.

Really? The SourceForge archive doesn't, even for normal threads. It just
seems to sort chronologically within the thread.
The message I quoted (the 'how rude' one) has these headers:

Message 1364134183.m2f.383201 AT www.backupcentral DOT com is the one that
started
this thread (or rather, it doesn't contain any "references" or "in-reply-to"
headers) - "I get another error ...". So, I'm not really sure *how* gmail or
the list archives would make 1364146651.m2f.383207 a reply to
20130324165433.GA18584 AT gratch.parplies DOT de without *anything* in the mail
header indicating it is meant to be. Presenting messages within a thread
is not the same thing as *correctly showing* which message another one is
responding to.
Yes, *sometimes* you can easily guess (like here), but that's not a good excuse
for doing it wrong.
Of course, the forum can't get it right if the user just blindly clicks on any
"reply" button, because the reply will always appear at the bottom of the web
page anyway.

Regards,
Holger