BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Stop TrashClean / Return directories backup list

2013-03-20 22:51:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Stop TrashClean / Return directories backup list
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Phil Kennedy <Phillip.kennedy AT yankeeairmuseum DOT org>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 03:50:34 +0100
Hi,

Phil Kennedy wrote on 2013-03-20 21:28:52 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Stop
TrachClean / Return directories backup list]:
> On 3/20/2013 9:12 PM, Holger Parplies wrote:
> > [...]
> That's very odd, but a possiblity. My thought was that the mdadm.conf
> was rebuilt when the Promise array was brought online, and the previous
> admin simply omitted the old RAID confs for sda and sdb. From that point
> on, sda booted as a normal drive rather than a RAID member and no one
> was the wiser.

I'm not sure under which conditions the kernel automatically assembles an
array. Concerning the root FS, the kernel command line parameter should give a
reasonable hint. It's either 'root=/dev/md0' (or similar), then booting should
fail if it's not (and can't be) assembled, or it's 'root=/dev/sda1', which
should be a problem even *if* the array is assembled :-).

> As an aside, i've seen drives in other backuppc / software RAID
> instances fail for no good reason, to the point that they pass long
> smartctl test, yet mdadm is still convinced that the drive is bad.
> Perhaps the vibration issue you've described was the culprit then?

In my case, I could simply re-add the device to the array. It wouldn't be
re-added automatically in any case.

> > Do the *hosts* show up in the web interface? If not, look at your hosts file
> > (/etc/BackupPC/hosts or something like that). If so, it could be
> They do now. One of the first things I did was to rebuild the hosts file
> based on the information in /backup/pc.

What I meant is: were you describing an *empty* host page (i.e. host page with
no backups) or a *missing* host page (i.e. host unknown to BackupPC)?

> > That should be unnecessary as long as BackupPC is not running. Err, does the
> > web interface work without a running BackupPC daemon?
>
> No, backuppc doesn't work without the daemon running.

That's funny. I consider "BackupPC" to be the daemon, not the web interface :-).

> The web interface
> makes troubleshooting at little easier for me, especially since I have a
> number of hosts to verify.

Yes, I can see that. I wouldn't want to interpret backup data from the command
line either.

> I can change the config files from terminal, but the web just makes it far
> prettier / simpler.

The thing is, it needs to work. Perhaps the daemon's understanding of which
backups exist and which don't is just fine (*), and it's only the web interface
that has problems. Either a problem with BackupPC or with the web interface
would cause the web interface to fail, so you need to fix both at once, rather
than one at a time. Ideally, one of us would write "BackupPC_ls" for you, so
you could list hosts and backups from the command line. Jeffrey, are there any
volunteers? ;-)
Actually, I seem to have written something vaguely similar in 2007 ... a quick
hack it was then, and it still is now, and it's almost certainly untested with
BackupPC 3.x, but you could give it a try. Should list the hosts and backups
BackupPC is aware of. Seems non-destructive enough, in any case.

Regards,
Holger

(*) Actually, the daemon doesn't care about existing backups; I should
    probably write BackupPC::Lib instead. The web interface uses that, too,
    but there's additionally the issue of the correct UID and perhaps
    SELinux implications.