BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Issue with SELinux context

2013-03-15 14:37:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Issue with SELinux context
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 13:36:25 -0500
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 1:13 PM, Jeff Boyce <jboyce AT meridianenv DOT com>
wrote:

> I have been testing BackupPC on a guest VM on my CentOS 6.3 box.  I have the
> backups being stored on a separate partition using LVM so that I can expand
> the space in the future as needed.
[...]
> Backups are being stored on separate partition, not standard for BackupPC:
> /bkupdata
>
> Standard BackupPC storage location:
> /var/lib/BackupPC
>
> SELinux context on standard BackupPC storage location:
> [root@bacteria BackupPC]# pwd
> /var/lib/BackupPC
> [root@bacteria BackupPC]# ls -Z
> drwxr-x---. backuppc backuppc system_u:object_r:var_lib_t:s0   cpool
> drwxr-x---. backuppc backuppc system_u:object_r:var_lib_t:s0   pc
> drwxr-x---. backuppc backuppc system_u:object_r:var_lib_t:s0   pool
> drwxr-x---. backuppc backuppc system_u:object_r:var_lib_t:s0   trash
>
> Current SELinux context on my BackupPC storage location:
> [root@bacteria bkupdata]# pwd
> /bkupdata
> [root@bacteria bkupdata]# ls -Z
> drwxr-x---. backuppc root system_u:object_r:default_t:s0   cpool
> drwx------. root     root system_u:object_r:default_t:s0   lost+found
> drwxr-x---. backuppc root system_u:object_r:default_t:s0   pc
> drwxr-x---. backuppc root system_u:object_r:default_t:s0   pool
> drwxr-x---. backuppc root system_u:object_r:default_t:s0   trash
>
> So my question is:  What is the proper SELinux context for the BackupPC
> storage directories when those directories are not in the standard location.

I'm not an selinux expert, but wouldn't this all take care of itself
if you just mounted your storage partition at /var/lib/BackupPC
(preferably before installing the package) instead of somewhere else?
It is really a CentOS or rpm packaging question so you might get
better answers elsewhere.   There are some tools to debug selinux
issues, or maybe the templates under /etc/selinux/targeted would mean
something to you.