BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Per-PC pools

2013-03-14 23:40:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Per-PC pools
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 04:39:01 +0100
Hi,

backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org wrote on 2013-03-14 23:05:42 -0400 [Re:
[BackupPC-users] Per-PC pools]:
> [...]
> Beats me how this would work without also changing all the things
> referencing the location of the pc tree (remember the super sensitive
> OP specifically talked about using separate filesystems).

my guess is that pc/xyz is a soft link to /somewhere/pc/xyz/ and the
corresponding pool "setting" is /somewhere/{c,}pool. This means setting up a
new host is manual work. I remember BackupPC_link having problems with soft
links at some point, although pc/ and pool/ were, in fact, on the same FS.
But, honestly, I don't want to waste much more time on this topic. It might
work. The ideas are not bad. And it might not work, but that's not my problem.

The only thing I am worried about is that someone finds the code at the end of
a google search and uses it without further reading or thinking (in
particular, whether it applies to his situation at all, which it doesn't most
of the time the question pops up). For that reason alone I am commenting
(maybe he at least reads the thread). The OP can decide for himself, and I
wish him the best of luck. I'm confident he won't come here with his problems
if he runs into any.

> Then again no changes have been made to the
> routine that checks for linkability so maybe the OP will never know
> about such coding lapses.

They would show up in the logs. Probably.

> Also, based on my playing with the code in Lib.pm and various other
> modules, I seem to recall many more hard-coded references to pool
> vs. cpool.

Possible. Also not my problem :-). I hinted at that, and that's where the
matter ends for me.

> Of course, it's possible that the OP got lucky and things
> just somehow still work, but I sure as heck wouldn't count on it...

You mean like "what happens if the target FS is not mounted"? Or in other
corner-cases less obvious? That is probably the real issue. No additional
error cases are handled, but I'm sure numerous ones are introduced.

Regards,
Holger