BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up many small files

2013-02-05 04:30:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up many small files
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 20:28:25 +1100
On 05/02/13 19:36, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I see incremental backup times in the 300-400 minutes range every day on this
> particular machine. A full backup is about 28 GB and each daily incremental
> backup is in the 150-250 MB range. The incrementals take like forever (well,
> about 6-7 hrs each).
>
> Is there *anything* I can do to tweak the backup-speed of BPC in order to
> speed up a backup from this machine that contains hundreds of thousands of
> small files? Maybe something on the other machine?
>
> BPC's sitting on a server running CentOS 5.9 and has a 4x harddrive raid0 (2
> TB) with ext3. Regular rsync is used. The network is a 100 MBps-type. Noadir
> and noatime is also set on the raid-array. Also in BPC I set
> "--checksum-seed=32761", after reading some hints on this.
>
> The backupee is a two-drive computer with instrument-data on the secondary
> drive running RHEL4.3. The SATA used should be fast enough I imagine.
>
> The BPC server is by now rather ancient, but still usable for casual
> instrument-data backups.
>
> Thanks in advance for any insights on this.

Have you done at least two FULL backups since you enabled the
checksum-seed option? If not, stop now, and wait until you have.

Check the following during an incremental backup:
1) Memory/swap used on both backup server and the backup client. If you
are using all available memory, or see memory being paged in/out (use
vmstat) then you need to upgrade RAM on that machine, or find a way to
backup a smaller number of files (split the client into multiple shares
or multiple machines, etc).

2) Check disk performance on the backup client. You have a single SATA
drive on the client, and this will be slow, you are doing a lot of
seeks, not just one big read. Can you enable noatime on the client
(probably)? This would decrease the amount of seek and writes on the
single SATA drive.

3) Check disk performance on the backup server

4) Check CPU on the backup server, if you have compression enabled, this
will really slow things down, consider to disable compression (though
this well mess with the pool).

5) Check bandwidth between the two (least likely to be the culprit, but
worth checking).

BTW, are you sure the backup server has 2TB with 4 drives in RAID0 ?
That suggests that any one of those 4 drives fail, and you lose ALL of
your backups and pool etc... You might confirm you are using RAID0 and
not linear, and also check the stripe size. If you are backing up lots
of small files, then you want the stripe size to be about the same size
as your file size. If your files are between 1 and 2kB each, then you
would want a stripe size of 4k, not the current linux default of 512k.

I would suggest RAID10 if you want any sort of resilience....

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev