BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backup never ends due to old partial backup and fewer files than the prior one

2013-01-16 08:46:19
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backup never ends due to old partial backup and fewer files than the prior one
From: Murmansk <murmansk AT hotmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 13:38:23 +0000 (UTC)
Old partial backups are only replaced with new ones when the new partial backup
has more files than previous one, even when the partial backup has become older
than $Conf{PartialAgeMax}.

The problem is that if there is a problem with the network while doing an rsync
backup, all the new transferred files will be deleted if the old partial backup
is bigger than the new transfer.

So you end in a situation where the files transfered by rsync are always
discarded due to an old partial backup that has no use to rsync (no same files).

You can see in your log a message like:
"Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the prior
one"

You need a rsync single full backup session without network problems to resolve
the problem, but this can be impossible with lots of data over problematic WAN
lines.

As I can not resolve the problem with our WAN, the only solution that I've
found is to delete the information for the problematic host (all the folders
under /var/lib/BackupPC/host) and then rsync will start to save partials with
new data until it can transfer a successful full backup.

Is there another solution?

Can a partial backup older than $Conf{PartialAgeMax} be superseded by smaller
new
partial backups?