BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problem with PermitRootLogin = no

2012-12-30 19:00:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problem with PermitRootLogin = no
From: Trey Dockendorf <treydock AT gmail DOT com>
To: General list for user discussion questions and support <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 17:59:05 -0600

On Dec 30, 2012 2:42 PM, "Tommi Huttunen" <tommi.huttunen AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> I have successfully installed Backuppc and it's working when PermitRootLogin = yes is in the client's sshd_config.
> I wouldn't want to do this, because it's quite insecure.
> If I put PermitRootLogin = no into sshd_config, Backuppc is not working.
> What would the best option to solve this?
>
> -Tommi

To more securely still use root set PermitRootLogin = without-password (double check syntax , on mobile device), so root can login ONLY via ssh keys.

The above is easier if you have config management (ie Puppet) pushing keys.  The other approach is a backuppc user on each backup target.  Give that user sudo, without password, to your backup command (ie /usr/bin/rsync).  Be sure to comment out require tty in sudoers file, or just for the backuppc local user.

- Trey