BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Thank you BackupPC!!!

2012-12-10 22:41:39
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Thank you BackupPC!!!
From: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 21:39:53 -0600
Just a shameless plug here...

I was "upgrading" my old Fedora 14 MythTV box to CentOS 6.3 which
didn't go so well on the MythTV front, but that's another story. Well
when that didn't work I decided to go with Fedora 17.

In both cases I have a /var lvm partition but since all my pictures,
movies, and music are on it I went in manually and deleted everything
except those folders. Well when I did this for Fedora 17, I
accidentally deleted my pictures folder, arguably the worst one to
lose!

Well after getting the system up I went in and logged in as the
backuppc user, killed the IP from known_hosts (since it generated a
new rsa key on install) and did a ssh-copy-id (much easier then doing
the key exchange by hand) an voila!

Went into the cgi interface and started a restore and it worked the
first time 100%. About 19GB worth of pictures (and short movie clips
recorded by the digital camera).

I think the wife would have put me in the hospital if I had lost them
permanently!

Thanks,
Richard