BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Full restore problem part II

2012-12-05 01:59:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Full restore problem part II
From: Gary Roach <gary719_list1 AT verizon DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 22:57:31 -0800
On 12/04/2012 08:37 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Gary Roach<gary719_list1 AT verizon DOT net>
> wrote:
>

>> OK. On the backup server, I restarted the restore process and it is still
>> running?. But, using KDE's SystemMonitor, the total accumulated CPU time
>> over an hour period for backuppc restore is zero +\- 1 second. I attached
>> strace to the backuppc restore PID with the following command line code:
>>      strace -fp 24746 -e open
>> This should have given a running list of all files opened by the restore
>> process. There was no action over a one hour period. (the 24746 is the pid
>> for the backuppc restore process gotten from the System Monitor). Unless
>> this is a very unusual program, the program is not doing anything
>>
> Keep in mind that rsync will transfer the entire directory listing for
> comparison before starting to transfer files.  Not sure if you'll
> catch directory reads with that -e open or not.

I'm going to let it run for about 24 hours anyway. That should be enough
time for about 19GB
>> I use
>> inetd.conf to start the rsync daemon with an entry of :
>>
>>       rsync   stream  tcp  nowait   root  /usr/bin/rsync   rsyncd --daemon
>>
>> If the -D switch must be included, should it be something like rsyncd -D
>> daemon.
>>
> While this should work, I'm curious why you don't use rsync over ssh
> which would be more typical for Linux.

It's a small personal network, inside a firewall and with nothing of a
sensitive nature. My wife and I are the only users. SSH needs to have
keys transfered about. I didn't want to bother.

Thanks for the help

Gary R.