BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Afraid of the midnight monster?

2012-11-08 11:30:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Afraid of the midnight monster?
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 11:08:57 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 11/08/2012 10:51:53 AM:

> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Jimmy Thrasibule
> <thrasibule.jimmy AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wonder if it is possible to wake BakupPC at midnight. In the
> > documentation or on the Internet, they all start at 1 to 23.
> >
> > $Conf{WakeupSchedule} = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14,
> > 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23];
> >

> > Can I put '0' in the `WakeupSchedule` list?
>
> Yes but since BackupPC_nightly runs on the first entry (1), omitting
> midnight might be intentional to give the running backups some extra
> time to complete.  You might want to rotate the list a bit to make the
> nightly run happen later in the morning when everything should be
> finished.

I second this suggestion.  Cleaning the pool (what BackupPC_nightly does) *thrashes* the disks, pretty much causing your backups to pause during the time in which this runs.  I move mine to 10 A.M. (by making the first entry in the WakeupSchedule be 10:  10, 1 , 2, 3, ...).

As for leaving 0 (midnight) out:  I'm actually a fan of this.  Too many things are triggered at the change of the day that I never knowingly schedule anything for midnight for performance reasons.  Plus, there is confusion of when exactly midnight is:  is Midnight at the beginning or the end of the day?  I've seen it both ways...  So, personally, I simply avoid it.

Of course, I often take this farter and never trigger things for the start of an hour, even.  I usually go with 7 minutes after the hour just out of general principle.  Seeing as BPC can't start on not-hours (or, at least, I've never tried a fractional hour within the WakeupSchedule), I don't mind skipping midnight...

But don't let my foibles prevent you from starting on that extra hour!  :)

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com