BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc 3.2.1 incremental SMB backup question

2012-11-02 14:13:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc 3.2.1 incremental SMB backup question
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 19:11:30 +0100

Jim Stark <jstarkjhealey AT gmail DOT com> schrieb:
>Thanks for the prompt reply.
>
>Machine A is an old Buffalo TeraStation. Ironically, it is running
>Linux &
>likely even has rsync, but as a practical matter, SMB is the only
>available
>access mechanism.
>
>1) You can touch the files, or copy them in such a way that their times
>change
>
>No shell access to A for "touch". No option I can find via the web
>interface to have the copies to A take the current time as their
>creation/mod time, though this would be great, if possible.

Mount the buffalo with smbfs or similar into a unix/linux machine and let touch
run.

>2) You can simply run full backups
>
>Performance hit? I understand pooling will avoid creating multiple
>copies,
>but cost in backup time?

The performance hit is affecting win-workstations that only run at daytime and
thus only are backuped during working hours. Your buffalo will likely run 24/7
and will be available in then out-of-office times when backuppc normally runs.

>I guess I'm mostly surprised that the incremental backup does not
>realize
>that there are files in the source that do not exist in the destination
>&
>back them up based on that, regardless of modtime.

That is exactly the reason why backuppc runs a full-backup at regular
intervals. In an ideal world the only time to run a full backup would be the
first time.

Have fun,

Arnold