BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backup plan

2012-10-23 13:12:32
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backup plan
From: Jimmy Thrasibule <thrasibule.jimmy AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 17:35:11 +0200
Hello,

I'm looking on how to use BackupPC in order to backup a bunch of Windows
installations and some Mac too. This is not my main concern as after
reading the documentation, I think that BackupPC is well suited for
that.

My main problem is that I also have some external servers (spread over
the Internet) to backup. In that case using as less as bandwidth as
possible can be useful. As I understood, BackupPC downloads all the data
and do deduplication on the server side. A tool doing dedpulication on
the client side would be better to preserve bandwidth.

bup [1] would be a good solution but it may be too young and here is
coming BURP [2]. Even if it doesn't support client side deduplication,
it has a delta differencing functionality.

So here is my idea:

  1. BURP collecting external servers data (BURP server is in a DMZ).
  2. BackupPC retrieve data from BURP server (local network).

Question:

I don't want to backup backups and have incremental backup of
incremental backups. This will make restoration harder.

What is the best way to get those files? Forget BackupPC and use rsync?
Use BackupPC and disable incremental backups?

Any advises are welcome.
Thanks!

[1]: http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=users/rlb/bup.git
[2]: http://burp.grke.net