BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to prove backups for Audits

2012-09-25 13:39:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to prove backups for Audits
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:36:28 -0500
On 09/25 11:58 , Derek Belcher wrote:
> I have been tasked with taking a screenshot for our auditors showing that we
> are keeping backups for a year.
>
> My current scheduling looks like this:
> FullKeepCnt = 1,0,1,0,0,1   one full week, one full month, one 64 weeks
>
> I there a way to display the oldest back up with a time stamp, proving 52+
> weeks? In the command line or GUI?

The Summary page for each host shows the history of backups for that host.
The Host Summary page shows how many full and incremental backups there are for
each host.

If you wanted to show the timestamps of all the oldest backups for each
host; you could probably write a trivial script that would walk the tree (to
a depth of 1 directory) in /var/lib/backuppc/pc and print the oldest
directory with timestamp.

Here's one implementation:
/var/lib/backuppc/pc# for i in $(ls -d *); do ls -ltFd $i/*/|tail -n 1; done

I'm sure others will have other ways to do it.

Do any of those (all of those? snow the auditors with doco!) help solve your
problem?

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator