BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to deactive the file mangling on backups ?

2012-09-24 18:33:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to deactive the file mangling on backups ?
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 18:31:47 -0400
Les Mikesell wrote at about 15:17:51 -0500 on Monday, September 24, 2012:
 > There is at least one fuse filesystem for backuppc has been developed
 > - maybe more.  Not sure what kind of performance it has or permissions
 > it can enforce.  But do you really have people who can't use the web
 > interface for browsing and doing their own restores?

Les raises a good point here. The backuppc fuse filesystem that has
been referenced in this thread is quite slow and unless you are just
rsync'ing a couple of files it is likely to be significantly slower
than the various tar/zip/web-browser methods. However, I use it all
the time for accessing individual files or isolated directories. I
would never however try to rsync a full filesystem tree of any size.