BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync: full backup more than twice faster than incremental backup

2012-08-16 11:37:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync: full backup more than twice faster than incremental backup
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 16:35:49 +0100
On 2012-08-16 15:51, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> I've now disabled incremental backups on this server, but maybe someone
>> has an idea how to enable incremental backups for this host as well.
>
> I think you've jumped to conclusions here - you need to time full runs
> other than the first.  Other things to keep in mind are:
> Incremental runs copy everything that has changed since the previous full.

One way we've improved this is to make incrementals reference the previous
incremental. As long as your filesystem timestamps are accurate (system
dates are synced, file modification times are updated on write), this works
well.

$Conf{IncrLevels} = [  '1',  '2',  '3',  '4',  '5',  '6', '7' ];

We use seven on the off chance that someone runs a manual one that week.

Regards,
Tyler

> Using the checksum caching will avoid the need to uncompress/compare
> on the server but only after the 2nd full of an unchanged file.
> The whole directory tree is held in ram

"... my partner and I became exhibit A in a process that I have been
warning Americans about since 2007: first they come for the 'other' –
the 'terrorist', the brown person, the Muslim, the outsider; then they
come for you – while you are standing on a sidewalk in evening dress,
obeying the law."
   -- Naomi Wolf, "How I was arrested at Occupy Wall Street", 2011-10-19