BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] rsync: incremental vs. full backups

2012-06-20 11:37:59
Subject: [BackupPC-users] rsync: incremental vs. full backups
From: jonas <jonas AT freesources DOT org>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:17:43 +0200
Hello,

I just set up a BackupPC server with more than 100 clients. Most of
them are backupped using rsync and ssh. The size of each client is
1-250GB. It took nearly two weeks to finish the initial full backup for
all these clients. This was expected due to limited network bandwidth.

The default for clients is to keep one weekly full backup and six/seven
daily incemental backups.

Now BackupPC has a full backup of all clients. Unfortunately it starts
with full backups again as the first ones are older than seven days. But
I really wonder about the time, BackupPC takes for doing the second
round of full backups. I tought that only changed files were transfered
when using rsync. And the stats look like I'm right. But still, full
backups take up to two days, even if only a few new files are
transmitted. Given that BackupPC still does a lot of parallel backups,
maybe reading the list of files with rsync takes that long, even if I
don't believe it.

I restarted BackupPC and that way stopped all active full backups.
After that I started incremental backups for several hosts. And now I
was really surprised: the incremental backups are much faster than the
full backups. Even for hosts with 150GB of data, the incremental backup
(few new files) took just some hours, while the second full backup for
the same host took days.

Did I get anything wrong? I'm curious to hear your opinions.

Regards,
  jonas