BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] archiving a file server

2012-06-11 21:41:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] archiving a file server
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 20:40:08 -0500
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM, lordsporkton <lordsporkton AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:

> Is there a recommended way to do archiving on a file server?
> Basically I want the backup to contain every given file the file server
> has ever had in every version.
>
> I was thinking maybe just do one full backup to start with and then hold
> infinite incrementals?
>
> Is that possible? I think I would just configure the backup to never do
> fulls, only incrementals and do the first full manually?

All you have to do is set the FullKeepCnt and IncrkeepCnt to very
large numbers and they won't expire.   Whether you do full or
incremental runs doesn't matter in terms of what is stored - you only
keep one copy of identical content regardless of where or how it is
backed up.    Incrementals copy everything that has changed since the
previous full run, so normally you want fairly frequent fulls to reset
the base for the incrementals and to make sure you have good copies of
everything.   Note that this still isn't necessarly 'every' version
that has been on the targets, just every version that was there during
the backup runs.