BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Status of CVE-2011-5081 (Cross-site scripting vulnerability)

2012-05-28 15:25:40
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Status of CVE-2011-5081 (Cross-site scripting vulnerability)
From: Juergen Harms <Juergen.Harms AT unige DOT ch>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 21:23:03 +0200
Several distros (e.g. Ubuntu) have recently dealt with the problem
mentioned in the subject line by adding a patch in the module
lib/BackupPC/CGI/RestoreFile.pm.

A bug requesting this security issue to be fixed has now also been filed
in Mageia. Trying to follow up this bug, I realised that

- according to the references quoted for CVE-2011-5081, the bug is
"fixed by vendor" (the cve notice dates from april 2011)

- trying the commands proposed as PoC on my (un-patched) backuppc 3.2.1
installation, there was no apparent problem.

Am I right assuming that the patch in RestoreFile.pm is not needed (and
that backuppc developpers have solved the problem by a modification
different from that proposed in the RestoreFile.pm patch)?

I would very much appreciate to receive confirmation in order to be able
to close the bug as resolved by "upstream"

(PS: I also tried applying the patch proposed for RestoreFile.pm and did
not see any difference in the response to the PoC commands)

Juergen