BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backups very slow after upgrade to squeeze

2012-05-09 13:06:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backups very slow after upgrade to squeeze
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 12:03:55 -0500
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Matthew Baker <matt.baker AT bristol.ac DOT
uk> wrote:

> By looking at the size of directories growing under the clients new
> directory I could see that /proc was most active. This particular client
> didn't have a specific BackupFilesExclude config so I've set a global
> default to:
>
> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
>   '*' => [
>     '/tmp/*',
>     '/proc/*',
>     '/sys/*'
>   ]
> };
>
> Restarted and retried this client and it finished an incremental run! =]
>
> Over half of the other clients have /proc already excluded. Will see
> over night if this helps those that don't.

I generally use --one-file-system as an rsync option which will keep
it from wandering into /proc and /sys as well as any nfs or iso mounts
that are accidentally in the path.   Of course if you do that, you
have to add explict 'share' entries for each mount point that you want
backed up and be careful to add new ones as needed.