BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup failing with tar error 512

2012-04-26 23:26:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup failing with tar error 512
From: "Kenneth L. Owen" <tx836519 AT bellsouth DOT net>
To: dwilliams AT dtw-consulting DOT com, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 23:25:24 -0400
Hi Les & David,

I also run BackupPC with VISUDO and also get the 512 error on localhost when backing up home.  I tried switching it to rsync, but could not get it to work that way.

Since then, my hard drive mounted at /var/lib/backuppc has failed.  I thought that it's failing may have be part of the problem causing the 512 error.  I have since replaced the hard drive and set it up like before.  I am still getting messages that "tar exited with error 512' and that a partial backup was saved.

And, YES, backuppc is running as root on my system by using 'sudo'.  The command line in BPC is '$Conf{TarClientCmd} = /usr/bin/env LC_ALL=C sudo /bin/tar -c -v -f - -C $shareName --totals'.

-- ken

On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 22:38 -0400, David Williams wrote:
On 4/26/2012 8:33 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:03 AM, David Williams
> <dwilliams AT dtw-consulting DOT com>  wrote:
>> Is this a localhost backup?  And if so, have you set it up to use sudo
>> or are you using ssh?
>>
>> Localhost that is set up to use sudo.  The backup runs through /var and
>> /home as best I can tell, or it is failing at the very end of /home, not
>> sure.
>>
> Are you sure it is really running as root?   Maybe it can't read any of /home.

How do I check that?  I can see lot's of entries for /home/dwilliam and
other users in the log file before it exits with the tar error.  If you
can point me in the right direction to determine if it is really running
as root I can confirm.

Thanks.