BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backing up machines with more than one IP

2012-04-25 04:26:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backing up machines with more than one IP
From: Tim Fletcher <tim AT night-shade.org DOT uk>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 09:24:03 +0100
On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 19:24 -0700, Joel Uckelman wrote:
> I have a laptop which is sometimes connected to the network via wireless
> and sometimes via a wired connection. My router has a built-in DNS server
> which will not permit the same name to be associated with two different
> IPs, even if those two IPs are never in use simultaneously. Hence, when
> BackupPC looks up the IP of my laptop, my laptop might not have that IP
> at that time, which causes the backup to fail. What I'd like to happen
> is for the backup to succeed so long as my laptop is reachable via
> either IP address.
>
> How can I do this? Is there some way to give BackupPC a list of IPs to
> try?

If the laptop is running MacOSX, modern linux or Windows with the apple
bonjour software installed (it's installed automagically if you install
iTunes etc) then try using the host name of "laptopname.local" obviously
replacing laptopname with your laptop's name with any spaces etc taken
out.

--
Tim Fletcher <tim AT night-shade.org DOT uk>