BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving backuppc to a new machine

2012-04-20 14:24:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving backuppc to a new machine
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 14:23:19 -0400
On 4/20/2012 1:41 PM, Kameleon wrote:
> Currently our backuppc server is a Xen pv domU running Ubuntu 10.04.
> It has served us well over the past two years. However it is time to
> move it out of the virtual environment and back onto physical
> hardware. This is only so that it can be located on the far edge of
> our campus as far away from the physical servers it backs up as
> possible while still keeping it on the fiber network. So with that we
> are looking to install a fresh OS on the new hardware. We could stay
> with Ubuntu and just load 12.04. Most of our other servers are Centos
> or Fedora. Is there one distribution that is better than the other for
> backuppc?

I don't think the distribution matters much.  CentOS works well for me.

> I will be moving the /var/lib/backuppc pool (it is on it's
> own lv) to the new machine. Should I expect any problems with this?

As long as you can do a block-level copy, you should be ok.  File-level
copies of the BackupPC pool can take days due to the number of hardlinks.

One frequently suggested option is to not copy the pool at all.  Create
the new machine, leave the pool empty and let it start from scratch.
Keep the old backup machine around until the new machine builds up
enough history.

--
Bowie