BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Issues with DDNS and DHCP

2012-03-28 13:36:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Issues with DDNS and DHCP
From: Michael Coffman <michael.coffman AT avagotech DOT com>
To: Tim Fletcher <tim AT night-shade.org DOT uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:34:53 -0600
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Tim Fletcher <tim AT night-shade.org DOT uk> wrote:
On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 09:44 -0600, Michael Coffman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have been using backuppc with great success until recently.
>
> Our company has been mucking around with DHCP and DDNS configuration
> to support users migrating from a remote login to wireless to
> hardwired  ( I have not control or authority into this
> environment).
>
> The end result is that backuppc for very mobile users seems to be
> perpetually broken.   As their laptop moves around it gets multiple
> IPs associated with it and the forward-reverse lookups don't always
> work.    We have even had the case of a users laptop getting the IP
> that had previously belong to another system and the IP had not been
> flushed from DDNS cleanly - end result was laptop A backed up into the
> location form laptop B.    Has anyone else had to deal with this?
> Any creative ideas for preventing this previous issue or for dealing
> with ever changing system names?    I believe that the right answer is
> to fix our DHCP/DNS/DDNS environment, but I dont' think that's going
> to happen.   I am about ready to bail on backuppc for our highly
> mobile users :(    Not sure what I expect from the list, just kind of
> grasping at straws at this point.

Can you use mDNS aka Bonjour aka Avahi depending on the flavor of the
implementation?

I am not really familiar with this but it looks worth looking into.

If you can ping <machinename>.local then you might have a chance to make
it work as the machine (normally) is the one that is replying to the
mDNS request.

Not usually.  When they get bollixed up, DNS does not always have an IP for the original name..   I have 26 systems this morning that dig does not return an IP on :(

--
Tim Fletcher <tim AT night-shade.org DOT uk>