BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] replicating the pool from a NAS

2012-03-16 07:06:48
Subject: [BackupPC-users] replicating the pool from a NAS
From: Michael Kuss <michael.w.kuss AT gmail DOT com>
To: BackupPC-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:05:11 +0100
Hi,

surely this is the nth question on how to replicate a backup pool.  However, this time it's from an old 300GB Lacie ethernet disk mini.  I tried:

1) plain rsync with -H.  This worked last year, I remember it took a week or so.  This year, either the LAN is worse, or the disk is aging, I get regularly timeouts.

2) rsyncing just cpool, and using tarPCCopy for the single backups.  Works, but it is very slow, I'm now in the second week, with another week to go.  And, I had some timeouts also here.  So, I have to rerun some backups for sure, and to be prudent I should very anything anyway.

3) I tried to find a tool similar to dd which works on cifs mounted NAS and just copies the raw device.  I had no success.

Anybody has any advice on how I could speed this process?    In case it's relevant, the disk is formatted xfs.

Another option is just forget about it, start with a fresh pool, and hope the disk will boot in case we need some of the old files.

Thanks,

Michael