BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 10GB ZIP corruption

2012-02-29 12:29:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 10GB ZIP corruption
From: Till Hofmann <hofmanntill AT googlemail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:27:32 +0100

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

I think that is an inherent limit in the zip format or the directory
it uses internally.  I thought it was 4 GB but maybe that was with an
older version or on a 32 bit system.

man page zip on Debian stable 64bit:
Large Archives and Zip64.   zip  automatically uses the Zip64 extensions when files larger than 4 GB are added to an archive, an archive containing Zip64 entries is updated (if the resulting archive still needs Zip64), the size of the archive will exceed  4GB,  or when the number of entries in the archive will exceed about 64K.  Zip64 is also used for archives streamed from standard input as the size of such archives are not known in advance, but the option -fz- can be used to force zip to create PKZIP 2 compatible  archives (as long as Zip64 extensions are not needed).  You must use a PKZIP 4.5 compatible unzip, such as unzip 6.0 or later, to extract files using the Zip64 extensions.

I guess it depends on the version of zip you're using.

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:53 AM, Dale Langham <dale AT dlangham.co DOT uk> wrote:

> I am using Ubuntu Server 11.04 (64 bit), BackupPC is at version 3.2.0 and it
> was installed from the standard Ubuntu repo.
> I am having issues downloading backup files using the ZIP option with what
> appears to be files over 8GB in size, the files are downloading OK, but when
> you try to extract them, they say they are corrupt,

Try 'zip -v', it will tell you if it supports large zip archives
If it's enabled, it will show something like

Zip special compilation options:
LARGE_FILE_SUPPORT   (can read and write large files on file system)