BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Automatic redirected restore

2012-02-18 10:19:02
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Automatic redirected restore
From: Dan Johansson <Dan.Johansson AT dmj DOT nu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 16:17:31 +0100
Hi,

I am looking for a way to do an automatic redirected restore.
At the moment I am playing with an Archive Host and are doing the following:

1)      run BackupPC_archiveStart with ArchiveDest set to a local directory (at
the moment /(var/tmp).

2)      When the archive process is finished I create a subdirectory in
/var/tmp
and extract the tar-file from step one into this subdirectory.

This approach works but uses a lot of disk space (almost two times) as the
tar-file from step one must exist together with the extracted data for some
time (at least until the "tar xvzf" is finished and I can delete the tar
file). Is there/do you know of any way to "skip" the use of a tar file and
directly "export/restore" the backup to a "redirected" location.
With redirected I mean it does not get restored to the original host and or
location.

Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!