BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] which one better ssh+rsync or rsyncd ?

2012-02-15 05:43:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] which one better ssh+rsync or rsyncd ?
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 17:41:56 +0700
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 3:03 PM, J. Bakshi <bakshi12 AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
Greetings to all of you. I have come to know about backuppc recently during my search for a net based backup solution which requires bare minimal settings at user end and supports various client OS. backuppc surely meet my requirement.

For windoze target hosts, I have found the Cygwin implementation of the OpenSSH server to be relatively well-documented and straightforward to setup.

Yes it is a bit "heavy", but note you don't have to do a full registry-based install on every client. Just get it a minimal setup running in "portable mode" and keep the whole X:\Cygwin tree in sync with rsync or whatever you already use.

However from a security POV, the SOP is to let Cygwin's normal OpenSSH setup routine create the special full-rights-to-backup user, password issues, so for small environments you probably should just go ahead and run setup on each client anyway, you can still sync later updates.

It's actually nice to know you've got sshd available on your clients for other purposes, especially to ensure good security for FOSS tools that don't know from domain-based tools.

And of course the other platforms have the ssh server enabled out of the box. . .