BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Achiving localhost using tar

2012-01-24 00:43:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Achiving localhost using tar
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 23:42:22 -0600
On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 11:22 PM, Kenneth L. Owen
<tx836519 AT bellsouth DOT net> wrote:

> I am not wanting to generate a new private key on the archiver for
> backuppc user for just the reason you gave -- the clients are in sync
> with this key.

And you don't need a new key, you just need the public key that
matches your existing private key  added to the appropriate
authorized_keys file.

> backuppc ssh connects to the client as backuppc where he has an account.
> The clients sudoers file gives backuppc root privilege for the commands
> needed to perform backup and no others.  If I need to do a restore, I
> must revise the sodoers file to to switch to the commands for restore so
> backuppc can write the files.  Then when the restore is complete it is
> changed back so that only the backup function is allowed.
>
> On the archiver, backuppc has a logon ID.  The sudoers file gives
> backuppc root authority on archiver system, but only for the commands
> needed to perform a tar backup of /home.
>
> So, to switch to rsync, I revise sudoers to give backuppc root privilege
> for the commands to perform rsync backup of /home.  Then BackupPC
> application will ssh connect to localhost as user backuppc on localhost.
>
> Am I missing something here?

That is more complicated than just ssh'ing as root (where sshd has
approximately equivalent facilities to sudo to control what can be
executed) but if that is working correctly elsewhere it should work
the same with localhost as the target.