BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] trying to improve the speed at which backuppc rsync back up processes a large binary file in incremental backups

2012-01-10 20:02:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] trying to improve the speed at which backuppc rsync back up processes a large binary file in incremental backups
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 19:01:50 -0600
On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 6:39 PM, John Habermann
<jhabermann AT cook.qld.gov DOT au> wrote:

> Ok I wonder if it might be better for me to look at having that file
> backed up then by tar rather than rsync. I can't see any mentions of
> using multiple transfer methods within a single client config in my
> searching. Is that an option or is the only way to do this is to create
> a second client.pc file that uses tar as the transfer method and just
> backups up the ntbackup share?

Yes, you would have to exclude the file from your current backup of
that host (or write it somewhere not included).  Then make another
host name but point it back to the same target with the
ClientAliasName option.

>> > 2. Why does an incremental backup of this file take so much longer
>> > than a full backup of it or a plain rsync of this file?
>>
>> That doesn't make sense to me either.  Are you sure that is consistent
>> and not related to something else that might have been using the link
>> concurrently?
>>

> It appears pretty consistent that the incremental backups of this
> client are always longer than the full backups but there is a fair
> amount of variability in the time the incremental backup takes. I am
> going to set up a separate backuppc server on the same local area
> network as the client and see how the full compares to the incremental
> when the bandwidth of the connection is not the limiting factor.

If you have some space somewhere on the backuppc server side of the
slow link, you might try to do a stock rsync of this file that
backuppc can pick up later to keep a history.