BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Expanding Disk Capacity

2011-12-26 15:20:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Expanding Disk Capacity
From: Pavel Hofman <pavel.hofman AT ivitera DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 21:17:59 +0100
Dne 26.12.2011 18:54, Estanislao López Morgan napsal(a):
> Dear BackupPc's friends,
>

> My  pool file system is growing every day and I need to expand my disk
> capacity on my backup server. I already have a 1.5TB hard disk. I have
> been studing this subjet for a couple of weeks, and change my storage
> scheme to LVM (for example) seems to be the better choice. Someone have
> ever done that? It is necesary to reinstall all the backuppc server in
> the new storage scheme?

I always keep the data partition as last in the drive. When it fills up,
I copy the old drive to a new larger drive with dd, resize the data
partition and the filesystem. This way I have been expanding capacity of
the original installation for many years.

In fact I do not use single drives and dd, but a bit more complicated
raid setup, but the principle is the same - increasing the data
partition first and growing its filesystem.

Best regards,

Pavel.