BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] When do files get re-transferred?

2011-12-23 17:38:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] When do files get re-transferred?
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 23:35:43 +0100
On Friday 23 December 2011 17:54:40 Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 5:09 AM, Rahul Amaram <rahul AT synovel DOT com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a query about file transfer while taking backups. I understand
> > that backuppc uses de-duplication i.e. only a single copy of the file is
> > stored even if multiple copies of it exist on different machines.
> > However, what I would like to know is when a file is transferred after
> > being backed up once. Is it during the next full-backup? Is it after a
> > certain duration has elapsed? Or is it that once a file is copied it is
> > never transferred again (even for full-backup) unless it is changed?
>
> The de-dup and xfer are mostly unrelated.  Only the rsync and rsyncd
> xfer methods avoid subsequent transfers and they do it by comparing
> against the previous full of the same host.

Well, actually the comparison is done against the last backup of a lower
level. And full dumps are always level 0, while for incremental you can freely
cascade any levels greater then zero.
But altough we do that on some of our backups, we haven't yet found any
logical or technical reason to actually do so. It only really matters when you
save incremental tapes...

Have fun,

Arnold