BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] How to get stats about the pool?

2011-12-01 15:22:48
Subject: [BackupPC-users] How to get stats about the pool?
From: Long V <long_at_work AT yahoo DOT ca>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 15:21:26 -0500
Hi,

I have set BackupPC to backup a directory where the content is always
wiped and re-populated with 99% of the time same filename and same
content inside the files. File timestamps would be different as they
have been re-generated.

I expected that BackupPC would detect it's the same filename and same
content and use hardlink instead of re-copying the file again.

However, I've been monitoring /var/lib/BackupPC/cpool using `du -sh
/var/lib/BackupPC/cpool` and it seems to be growing at a steady state
that is much faster than what I expected.

Either I am not looking at the right pool or the way I measure the pool
size (du -sh) is wrong or BackupPC is not using hardlink in my case.

To confirm my suspicions:
- is  /var/lib/BackupPC/cpool the pool I need to look for
- is `du -sh` the proper way to measure the size of the pool
- how do I know how many hardlinks are pointing to the same file in the
pool?
- how do I calculate the saving ratio of using hardlink vs simple copy
the file again? (this would confirm if my instance of BackupPC is
exploiting the saving advantage of hardlink or not)

Thanks,
Long