BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Request for comments/ideas

2011-09-09 12:40:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Request for comments/ideas
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 11:39:31 -0500
On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 4:51 AM, Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
wrote:

>  - Encrypted tapes: Writing weekly full dumps to tape or disk is nice, but we
> would love to feed these through gpg at the time of writing. Has anybody done
> this? And is this better done with writing the tars to a temporary (encrypted)
> partition and then manually feed trough gpg to tape or is there an easy way to
> extend BackupPC_tarCreate to write gpg-encrypted tar?

You don't need to 'extend' BackupPC_tarCreate - just pipe the output
through whatever encryption program you want on the way to the tape.
It might be easier to deal with something like 'openssl aes-256-cbc
-salt -k some_encryption_key'  instead of gpg, though.    And your
tape might perform better if you reblock the output using dd and some
appropriate obs= value at the end of the pipeline.

>  - Writing to AmazonS3 and other remote storages. Using a tape is nice, but
> when the tapes are stored near the drive and therefor near the server itself,
> there is no 'offsite' involved. And as a service to our customers we would
> love
> to not sell them real tapes but virtual tape space at amazon or any other
> remote-storage (might be our own machines) where the weekly tapes get pushed.
> Of course together with the encryption solved.

If you don't care about pooling, split the output that would have gone
to tape into chunks that you store in a cloud.  But be realistic about
the time it is going to take to do a restore.  There are still
services like Iron Mountain that will physically transport tapes to
offsite storage.

> Are these ideas way off track? Do they fit into the perspective of BackupPC?

They don't mesh very well with the pooling concepts and you end up
with a complex scheme with lots of potential failure points.