BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Linux backups with rsync vs tar

2011-08-31 11:09:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Linux backups with rsync vs tar
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:07:57 -0500
On 08/31 02:53 , charlesboyo wrote:
> 1. since over 90% of the files change every day and "incremental" backups
> involve transferring the whole file to the BackupPC server, won't it make
> better sense to just run a full backup everyday?
> 2. from Pavel's questions, he observed that BackupPC is unable to recover
> from interrupted tar transfer. Such interruptions simply cannot happen in my
> case. Should I switch to tar? And in the unlikely event that the transferred
> does get interrupted, what mechanisms do I need to implement to
> resume/recover from the failure?

Tar can often give several times greater performance than rsync, if most of
the files are being transferred. In your case, I would suggest experimenting
with it and seeing how much of a difference it makes.

As for recovering from tar errors; I would think it just involves re-running
the backup.

As for how to make the change; just edit your per-host config file
(/etc/backupc/<hostname>.pl). I don't know how extensive the compatibility
problems are; some experimentation may be in order.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator