BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature request

2011-08-25 09:32:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature request
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:31:01 -0500
On 08/25 09:23 , Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> I would make it consistent with the heirarchy:
> <hostname>-<backup#>-<share>
> I'm not sure what date adds since the date is irrelevant unless you
> are referring to the date of the snapshot in which case it would be an
> alternative to backup#.

I would prefer date, since the 'backup number' is only relevant within
BackupPC's universe; whereas the date is relevant to the rest of the world.

> Also, "share" should be optional in case the restore is done at the
> host level.

Even when restoring an entire host, the share must be specified, correct?
One problem is that '/' is a character with special meaning on the command
line; and so we should avoid putting it in filenames. Suggestions?

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator