BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Can`t Change {TopDir} Location . .

2011-08-12 23:46:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Can`t Change {TopDir} Location . .
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: saed <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>, saed.abdu AT hotmail DOT com
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 05:44:23 +0200
Hi,

saed wrote on 2011-08-12 17:08:41 -0700 [[BackupPC-users]  Can`t Change
{TopDir} Location . .]:
> (I am relatively new in linux world)

well, first of all: welcome!

That said, not all issues are Linux-specific. Reading documentation is a good
idea when dealing with *any* software, though the *availability* of
documentation may be much better for Open Source software that for what you
are accustomed to. But I see that you *have* searched for and read
documentation, so my point may have been unfair. Sorry about that. Admittedly,
the point in question is not well-covered in the primary documentation source,
and the relevant wiki page may be hard to find. Still, the question comes up
*often* on the mailing list.

Which is the other point. Please remember that you are posting to a *mailing
list*, even if you are doing so through a forum gateway. It is not possible to
edit e-mail messages once you have sent them, so that aspect of the forum does
not propagate well (actually, it *should* be disabled (I hope that was
ambiguous enough ;-)). I suspect that is what was causing the duplicates.
Honestly, if I've read your message once and find an apparent duplicate, I
*won't ever* check the duplicate for subtle changes, I'll just skip over it.

Also, while changing the title to indicate the focus of your question has
shifted works fine on the mailing list (as long as the references headers
are left intact), but the forum doesn't handle the references headers properly,
so changing the title there will break up the thread on the mailing list.

Another point is that we'll only see your current post, not the rest of the
thread [at least not without going out of our way]. Please keep enough
context (and please mark it as such!) for your question to remain
understandable. Regrettably, a new "feature" of the forum appears to be
removing quoting, so that it is indistinguishable what is quote and what is
reply - making the messages virtually incomprehensible. Consider joining the
mailing list, for the sake of your own and our sanity.

> i did read  the Documentation regrading the TopDir portion "Copying the pool"

Which part of the documentation (i.e. which document) are you referring to?

> but i did not understand the "script bin/BackupPC_tarPCCopy"  thats why i
> submit the question

You don't need BackupPC_tarPCCopy.

> but here is what i did to make it work . .
> $ cp -avr /var/lib/BckupPC/*  /backup/Data/

Had that not worked (because you already have a large pool), you would have
needed BackupPC_tarPCCopy (or a more efficient alternative). When dealing
with a fresh pool, 'cp' will work just fine.

The whole point is covered in the BackupPC wiki:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=Change_archive_directory

In particular, the sections "Changing the storage location of the BackupPC
pool" (which you have already done, but you might want to rethink your options
of making the new storage location visible) and possibly "Changing the name of
the archive directory" would be of interest to you. Note that you won't need
to copy any data - you've already done that part.

In a nutshell, changing $Conf{TopDir} only works correctly since BackupPC
3.2.0, not with earlier versions, but you *never* *need to* change
$Conf{TopDir}. You may want to for personal reasons, and that's fine, but you
should check out the alternatives first. Especially since you are new to Linux,
I'm almost certain you are not aware of the alternatives rather than having
actively ruled them out.

If anything on the wiki page is not clear, do not hesitate to point that out
and ask for clarification.

> ### knowing that /backupc/Data is a Directory i made for backup which resides
> on a Raid-5 LVM Volume
> $ /etc/init.d/backuppc restart
> Shutting down BackupPC:                                  [  OK  ]
> Starting BackupPC:                                         [  OK  ]

Does that mean things are working now, or are you still getting the "can't
create a test hardlink" message in the log file? Which version of BackupPC are
you running?

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger